Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful...on purpose

Complacent. In a rut. Discontent.
These are words I use to describe where I am at too often.
Way too often. It's embarrassing.

I live a great life.
Beautiful, healthy, amazing kids.
Loving, attentive, involved, cute, Godly husband.
Wonderful house. Friendly Neighbors. You get the picture.

So, why do I feel discontent sometimes...a lot of times.
In reading the book I posted about earlier in the week, I am beginning to understand.

It seems the root of discontentment is unthankfulness.

Ouch.
I always tell the kids to be thankful for what they have. To say thanks. To give thanks.
But inside, I am not thankful.
I should be. I need to be.
"I have LEARNED in whatever state I am in, to be content..."
Oh God, help be to learn that. To learn by doing.
Create a spirit of gratitude within me.

The author, early on in the book, starts a list based on a dare.

List a thousand things you are thankful for.
1000. that's lots.
A bit daunting maybe, I don't think I've done a thousand of anything...
except for diapers, but, really....ewwwww.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go for the challenge.
As I was thinking of it today, I found a lot to be thankful for.
From tiled bathroom floors, to the infectious giggle of my three year old. Thinking maybe I'll list them for you...maybe a "thankful thursday" thing.
Catchy, I know :)
Follow along if you want, better yet, join in!
What are you thankful for?

1 The little bird outside the girls' window that wakes up with me in the morning.
2 Springtime buds...in February
3 indestructible plastic toys
4 Grandparents watching grandkids play basketball on the front lawn
5 The big yellow school bus that delivers my kids every afternoon
6 That my house is the bus stop
7 Bouncing backpacks as they come off of the bus
8 hugs that say I am loved
9 little readers learning their words
10 google chat
11 canned spaghetti sauce (don't judge)
12 calls to my mom over 3000 miles away
13 her voice on the other end of the line
14 knowing she misses me too
15 New shoes, that aren't so new
16 laughing til you lose control of your face
17 watching my kids laugh like that

Be thankful, on purpose!




1 comment:

amy said...

so nice to find your blog danielle! i love what you have to say here. you will never regret counting your gifts, it truly is life changing as ann says.