Friday, February 18, 2011

One Thousand Gifts (at least)

I love to read. I do it a lot. Even with five kids, I can devour a good book in a matter of days. The house may suffer a bit, but the kids still get fed and cleaned and loved. I am a self-professed "word snob." I don't like sloppy or empty writing. I like to be moved, taken away, transported beyond my day into somewhere else. Escape.

And...I hate non-fiction.

Maybe hate is too strong of a word, maybe not.
Not sure why I don't run toward the newest revelation or self help book. Maybe I don't like to have to think to much?! Maybe I've let my brain get a bit lazy.

There's a lot of mush in my head. Kinda like that good ol' strong grey matter that used to function as a semi-reliable steel trap has been trampled and snotted and pooed and cried on till it is more like a very thin, hole filled net. If that. But every now and then, it's good to introduce some iron into the mix. You know - iron sharpening iron (or iron sharpening mush)?!

So - here I sit, looking at a book I bought. It wasn't given to me. No one said "hey this might apply to you - take a look." Nope. Found it on my own (actually saw it briefly on a blog) and on an implulse I bought it.
Me, Amazon.com, 20 seconds - done deal.

Two days later, that little brown box arrived. I didn't open it for two more days. Didn't crack the cover of the book for another week.
It stared at me from the file cabinet...I stared back.
Finally I got up the courage. I curled up with a cup of tea at nap time and read the first couple pages (3 to be exact).
Enter the ugly booger cry. Already!? For Real?!?!
This lady does not break you in easy. How the heck am I supposed to read an ENTIRE book of this. And more importantly, HOW did this lady get into my head - and WHY the heck is she writing about it for the whole world to see?


So now, 3 whole chapters (about 31 pages in) I am still in awe. Not only does she write crazy beautiful stuff, but there is strong truth and revelation on every page. every page. She writes about "living life fully, right where you are," about living WITH grace and embracing the mystery of life, much as the Israelites ate manna. Literally "what is it."
Eating, embracing, being nourished by the mystery. Mmmmm....good stuff.

Anywho, not sure how long it will take me to get through this book. I'm still a little scared of it, but a lot excited to see what else comes from it. I could use some good fruit!

Alright...for sitting down not knowing what to write about tonight, I think I've not done too bad!

'Night!

3 comments:

Lora said...

i gave that book to my mom for her birthday last week. she said it was awesome! i need to read it now too i guess...
:)miss you!

Nikki said...

Hmmm, we must be related. I really don't like reading non-fiction either.
I've seen this book around a lot and I follow the author's blog. Thanks for sharing about it. I might have to check it out!

Amy said...

I just checked out the author's blog...good stuff! I may have to find myself a copy soon and take a look. Love ya lots!
Amy