Friday, March 23, 2007

It's all part of the process

">pregnancy cartoonI had to post this cartoon. I found this great site with some very funny prego cartoons - one for each week of the pregnancy. I'll try to get one up each week until little Micah shows up!

This is the fourth time I have sat down to try to type this post. One time yesterday, I started to type and my 1 year old came up with a book and closed the lid to the laptop...hmmm....point taken.

So - they are now building a house out of pillows and blankets and chairs and who knows what else - so I should have a couple minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to get some coherent thoughts down!?!?!

I am officially in my 31st week of this, my fourth, pregnancy. I think I have finally come to the point of giving in to the "process." Let me explain...

This baby is the most "planned" of our four, though "family planning" is quite an oxymoron if you ask me. But I think I have spent most of this pregnancy struggling against the natural side-effects of the whole prego process. I mean - who really welcomes aching joints, and spreading hips, and stretch marks on top of stretch marks and all sorts of other crazy stuff? But as I was walking with a good friend yesterday, she asked if I had been able to keep up with my workout schedule (again - "workout" and "schedule" are very funny words to put in the same sentence when you have little kids)? I told her that I had to a certain extent, but as the nausea came and went and came and went again, and I as I had weeks where the thought of getting out of bed caused panic and tears, I haven't quite been as consistent as I've wanted...and boy have I been feeling, not to mention seeing, the effects. She responded with something to the effect of "you can't really stress about that in pregnancy, it's kind of just part of the process." Very true, and it got me thinking.

I have always thought metaphorically - since I was pretty little. And sometimes, I know, I tend to over-metaphor or over spiritualize things, but God really started to point to some things out to me about the correlation between physical and spiritual pregnancy/birthing. Here are just a couple that really stood out --

* There will be aches and pains and stretching and growing in pregnancy. It hurts, it's uncomfortable, and you REALLY want it to stop - but they are all signs of growth and that the baby is healthy and developing. But in the midst of all the discomfort, when you feel a kick or a squirm or a stretch from within - it is an amazing reminder of the promise that is growing and coming soon!

* Your lifestyle HAS to change if you want a healthy baby...maybe not dramatically, but there are things you will do differently to keep yourself in shape and to ensure the safety of the little one inside. Spiritually, I think you need to act different and prepare differently when you are pregnant with the things of God.

* Toward the end of the pregnancy, you really, really, really, want to be done - and NOW! But, the best thing for the baby and mom is for the baby to be in the womb until the appropriate time. Premature babies can survive, but generally are not as healthy. Even thought there is an excitement and anxiousness to the coming birth - it needs to happen at the due time.

* Then, of course, there is the whole labor analogy - it hurts, it's uncomfortable, it's a bit scary, but sooooo worth it!

* I was also thinking about after the new little one is born - you don't just plop them down and say "grow." There is a lot of nurturing and helping and feeding and watching that happens to get them to the point where they are mature. And, oh, how nice it is when older siblings help and jealousy does not set in. As Tom says, God likes it when His kids play nice together.

So - there are my musings about pregnancy and birth and the whole (or at least part of) the spiritual aspects. I think I'm ready to give in to the process and ride this thing out for remaining 9 weeks - like I had a choice!!!! Bring it on!

9 comments:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Hey...

Excellent post. There is a the authority of experience on your words.

Blessings...
Z

a woman who is said...

Hey Danni, could you sent me the prego cartoon site? Might be a kick for Megan. You hang in there. As you know it soon will all be worth it. I always thought the best part of pregnancy was after the baby was born :>) Same thing in the Spirit too!

Nadine said...

I love the way your mind thinks. You have a way with words. I know that one day I'll be reading a book written by you. You're the best Danni.

matthew said...

that post should be pinned up on a wall at the church danni, how powerfully relevant that is to pretty much anyones life, eh?! that is the beauty of metaphors, a picture says a thousand words. I love you

don't forget:
rad dude babysitting service
"serving the tri-cities with years of real experience" :)
tel: you-know

Jill said...

Hey Danni~
I've been lurking around here reading your posts for awhile. You have great perspective! I think God is just as interested in the process as in the product if not more so. It's like doing an art project (or anything else for that matter)with the kids, the process is where all the expereince and wisdom is learned.
Jill Shelby

Anonymous said...

I love you! You are an awesome woman of God with such a strong and persevering heart... Bless you. :)

(though "family planning" is quite an oxymoron if you ask me.) - That made me laugh... :)

Unknown said...

great thoughts Danni - store those up until it's time to publish the book - you might need them!!

love you...

Jourdan said...

awww, danielle i love you! you have some precious insight when it comes to "motherly wisdom." I am proud of you! ;)
much love and grace...

Dianna said...

My favorite was the part of older sibs helping out. Untity makes the family strong. I will pre-order one of those books now! Love ya!